Neighborhood Security in San Antonio, Texas
This post was inspired by my neighborhood newsletter that talked about being safe, not sorry. I thought it applicable to any neighborhood!
You know what burgulars look for right? Open garages, signs of you not being home, facebook status updates of "Headed to the beach!", ETC. ETC. ETC.
Pretty sad to have to look around each corner & make certain you are taking care of yourself, your loved ones & your home but TRULY, it is better to be safe & not sorry! Some tips to help you do so are:
- Turn on your porch lights at night, if this is something you forget about frequently, consider putting the front porch light on a timer?
- Close your blinds so that lurkers can't see high value items from your windows to tempt them.
- Keep your garage closed! And those garage door openers in your car? Keep it out of sight!
- Get to know your neighbors. Sometimes this doesn't happen but make it a point so they know your face & they can recognize unfamiliar people or cars at your home.
- When you are headed to the beach, don't announce it. Also, have someone pick up your newspaper or flyers or your trash cans, all tall-tell signs 'WE AREN'T HOME RIGHT NOW!!"
- Lock your car. That one is simple BUT, I have heard of some burglars just walking up & down the street trying car doors to see if any are unlocked them, BINGO, there goes your stuff.
Bottom line is, burglars know what to look for, they have a different frame of mind than you & I. Crime happens in every development. Be safe!